- About Us
- Student Life
- News and Events
- Our Community
- 2014 School Calendar
The Piney Woods School, founded in 1909 by Laurence Clifton Jones, is one of only four historically African-American boarding schools in the United States. Ranked as one of America’s top ten boarding schools by U.S. News & World Report, Piney Woods is located 20 miles south of Jackson, Mississippi, a metropolitan capital city with a population of approximately 184,000. A private, co-educational boarding school, The Piney Woods School creates a living/learning environment where students are expected to excel. The school provides an atmosphere where academic performance and community service are highly regarded. We achieve results through a holistic approach that emphasizes academics, character, and service (HEAD, HEART, and HANDS).
- 52% Female
- 48% Male
- 98% African American Descent
- 2% Other
- 90% American Citizens
- 10% International
- 33% Mississippi
- The Piney Woods School accepts students in grades 9-12 both nationally and internationally.
- On average one-third of the student population comes from Mississippi.
- The school is open to students of all racial backgrounds and to both male and female students.
- The Piney Woods School employs 26 degreed, full-time teachers from diverse backgrounds, some of whom live on campus and provide additional hours of service to students.
- The student/teacher ratio is 10/1, allowing for individual guidance to support student learning styles.
- Each year, at least 98-100% of our graduating seniors enroll in some of the most prestigious colleges and universities in the nation, including Alcorn State, Amherst, Denison, Fisk, Harvard, Howard, Jackson State, Michigan State, Morehouse, Oberlin, Princeton, Smith, Spelman, Tougaloo, Tufts, Tuskegee, UC Santa Barbara, University of Chicago and Vassar.
- Students must maintain at least a “C” average and be willing to abide by school rules and regulations.
- We offer an innovative peer tutoring program. This program also emphasizes personal responsibility and fosters leadership skills.
The Piney Woods School is accredited by the Southern Association of Independent Schools.
The Piney Woods School is a member of the Southern Association of Independent Schools, the National Association of Independent Schools, and the Jackson Area Association of Independent Schools.